What is Linkey?
Linkey is a browser hijacker that changes your browser’s settings to http://linkey-search.com/. The thing is that this page was designed to make users visit sponsored pages as well as promote notorious MacKeeper PUP. More than that it spoils users’ browsing experience with intrusive pop-up ads and constant redirects leading to unsafe pages. Another malicious feature of Linkey is personal information tracking. It can monitor your searching queries, browsing story, geolocation, all the keyboard and mouse inputs you make in your web browser. All the stolen information may be shared and misused by third-parties to generate revenue. Therefore, we urgently advise you to remove Linkey as soon as possible.
How to remove Linkey from Mac?
This application is able to detect and remove Linkey from your computer and clean up your browser. Simple, easy-to-use and helpful.
Or you may use one of following manual methods:
How to remove Linkey manually
Step 1: Remove Linkey from Applications
In order to get rid of Linkey, first thing you need to do is to uninstall malicious program from your computer. When removing Linkey, try to find suspicious recently installed programs and delete them too, as it’s pretty common that any malware comes with some other unwanted programs.
- Launch Finder
- Select Applications in the Finder sidebar.
- If you see Uninstall Linkey or Linkey Uninstaller, double-click it and follow instructions
- Drag unwanted application from the Applications folder to the Trash (located on the right side of the Dock)
Note: If you can’t find a required program, sort programs by date and search for suspicious recently installed programs. If you still can’t locate any suspicious program or not sure what some application is for, we advise you to use Removal tool in order to track down what malicious program is infecting your system.
Step 2: Remove Linkey from browsers
Once you’ve uninstalled the application, remove Linkey from your web browser. You need to search for recently-installed suspicious add-ons and extensions.
- Click Preferences from Safari menu
- Select Extensions.
- Find Linkey or other extensions that look suspicious.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Open Google Chrome
- Push Alt + F.
- Choose Tools.
- Select Extensions.
- Search for Linkey.
- Select the trash can icon to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Select Linkey.
- Choose Disable or Remove option.
Step 3: Eliminate Linkey by deleting cache
In most cases, deleting the cache can resolve the problem
- Open Finder and select your user/home folder.
- With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options
- When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.
- Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.
Step 4: Remove Linkey from Profiles
Sometimes malware might have its entries in Group Policy that helps browser hijacker overrides search engine every time you reset browser settings.
- Open System Preferences
- Go to Profiles at the bottom of window.
- Choose AdminPrefs profile, click “-“ icon and enter password.
There are all the manual instructions that will help you to find Linkey on your Mac computer and remove it. The most effective method to get rid of Linkey is to perform the manual removal instructions and then use Combo Cleaner automatic tool. The manual method will weaken the malicious program and the program will remove it. Thank you for your attention.