What is Dharma?
Dharma is a new version of CrySiS ransomware. After infiltration, virus doesn’t waste its time and starts encrypting your personal data. The method of encryption draws on using asymmetric cryptography making file decryption almost impossible without special key. Notice that the each key is unique and it’s generated within encryption process. Affected files thus become useless since you can’t open or edit them. Apart from this, name of each corrupted file will be appended with [email_address].dharma, [email_address].wallet. Next, the malware places 2 files (“README.txt” or “Document.txt.[email@example.com].zzzzz”) in each folder with corrupted files. This infection is very dangerous threat to your computer and you need to remove Dharma ransomware immediately. To do so, we recommend you to use SpyHunter removal tool, you can find download link below.
Significantly, ransom amount is not specified, instead of this, malefactors ask to contact them in order to get further guidance. Contact email address, indicated in message, may be changed. Once you’ve done payment, they are suppose to send you decryption key. But nobody can guarantee that they will help you, don’t trust them, these cyber criminals are not going to do their part of the deal. Mostly they are just ignoring people who pays them. So please do not invest into this criminal scheme. Anyway, there’s no need to panic, Dharma ransomware does very complicated encryption, but it does not damage, move or delete your files, which means you have chance to recover your personal data.
Here’s information you can find in Dharma ransom notes:
At the moment, your system is not protected.
We can fix it and restore files.
To restore the system write to this address:
How Dharma infects your PC?
Dharma ransomware infiltrates your system with the help of phishing. Usually, cyber criminals distribute their product via spam emails with fake header information that might inspire trust like Amazon, DHL or FedEx. Most of these emails are disguised themselves as invoices, scanned documents from office, bills, information about failed payment. In this way, the fraudulent messages are attached with the malicious archive containing this dreadful virus. Inside the archive, mainly ZIP archive, is executable file (HTA, JS, or WSF scripts), once launching which the Dharma ransomware begins the encryption process. You can also get infected with Dharma virus downloading and installing fake software updates, games or programs from torrents or other third party software download sources. So, you should stay away from these web-sources. Remember, that attention and caution are keys to computer safety.
To prevent suсh kinds of the threats as Dharma ransomware in the future, follow these tips:
- Adjust your email anti-spam settings to filter out all the potentially unsafe incoming messages.
- Make sure, the attachments with the following extensions: .js, .vbs, .docm, .hta, .exe, .cmd, .scr, and .bat. place in the black list
- Rename the vssadmin.exe process to protect Shadow Volume Copies of your files from removal.
- Raise the level of protection of your Firewall. It can prevent ransomware from connecting with its server.
- Do not forget to backup your files regularly. This will facilitate process of decrypting files in case of infection.
- Install antimalware tool because it can detect ransomware in advance and remove the malware before the infection.
How to remove Dharma from your computer?
In order to get rid of Dharma on your computer, first thing you need to do is to run PC through full scan of some proper anti-virus program. To do so, take following steps:
- Boot your computer in Safe Mode with networking – push F8 button before your system starts;
- You’ll see Advanced boot options menu;
- Select Safe mode with networking and press Enter;
- Once you’ve entered your system in Safe Mode with networking, open your web browser and download any proper and reliable anti-malware program (like SpyHunter);
- Start entire system scan;
- After finishing scanning process, the program will remove virus from your computer.
The best and easiest way to remove Dharma from your computer is to use special anti-malware program that has this threat in its database. As stated above, you need proper and reliable anti-malware program, that’s why we recommend you to use SpyHunter.
SpyHunter 4 – it scans your computer and detects Dharma, then completely removes it. One of the best features of this program – large threat’s database. SpyHunter’s newly advanced ransomware detection technology is able to run an instant ransomware scan and show you a message about detection. After deep scanning of your system, it will easily find and delete Dharma. Use this removal tool to get rid of Dharma for FREE.
How to decrypt .dharma and .wallet files encrypted by Dharma?
Once you’ve removed virus, you are probably thinking of recovering files from encryption. Let’s take a look at possible ways of decrypting your data.
Decrypt .dharma and .wallet files with automated decryption tools
You can try to use automated decryption tool like Ransomware File Decryptor developed by Trend Micro. It may decrypt infected with Dharma files and it is free to use, so give it a try.
There is another possible solution to decrypt .dharma and .wallet files, use Kaspersky RakhniTool.
Decrypt .dharma and .wallet files manually
You can try to use one of these methods in order to restore your encrypted data manually.
Restore data with Windows Previous Versions
This feature is working on Windows Vista (not Home version), Windows 7 and later versions. Windows saves copies of files and folders which you can use to restore data on your computer. In order to restore data from Windows Backup, take following steps:
- Open My Computer and search for the folders you want to restore;
- Right-click on the folder and choose Restore previous versions option;
- The option will show you the list of all the previous copies of the folder;
- Select restore date and the option you need: Open, Copy and Restore.
Restore the system with System Restore
You can always try to use System Restore in order to roll back your system to its condition before infection infiltration. All the Windows versions include this option.
- Type restore in the Search tool;
- Click on the result;
- Choose restore point before the infection infiltration;
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Restore data with Shadow Explorer
Shadow Explorer is an application that is able to provide you with Shadow Copies created by the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service.
- Once you’ve downloaded this application, open a folder with it;
- Right-click on the file ShadowExplorer-0.9-portable and choose Extract all option;
- Run ShadowExplorerPortable.exe;
- Look at the left corner, there you can choose desired hard drive and latest restore option;
- On the right side you can see the list of files. Choose any file, right-click on it and select Export option.
Restore data with Recuva
Recuva is a data recovery program for Windows, developed by Piriform. It is able to recover files that have been “permanently” deleted and marked by the operating system as free space.
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed this application, start it in Wizard mode: choose the Options button and then select Run Wizard;
- You will see Welcome to the Recuva Wizard page, choose Next;
- Open the File Type page and choose the type of data you need to recover, after select Next. If you don’t know what kind of data you are looking for, choose Other option;
- Choose the location of a search in the File Location window;
- In the Thank you window, select Start. After finishing searching process, Recuva will show you the results of search;
- Before recovering of the data, choose the Check Boxes near the file. You can see three types of colored dots. Green dot means that your chance to restore file is excellent. Orange one – chance to restore file is acceptable. And the red one shows you that it’s unlikely to happen;
- Select Recover option and choose the directory of the restored data.
How to protect PC from Dharma?
It’s pretty difficult task to get rid of any ransomware, including Dharma. But you can easily prevent any infection of your PC. HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard can help you with this problem. It’s one of the best anti-ransomware applications. No matter how sneaky it is, HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard will stop Dharma infiltration to your system. After detection, this program removes all the related to the ransomware data and prevents your file from being encrypted.