What is Wcry Ransomware?
Wcry Ransomware (WanaCrypt0r 2.0) is a file-encrypting virus which means all the important and sensitive personal files on your computer will be encrypted. In cases like this, cyber criminals use the same scheme to get victims to pay. The only differences are the ransom price and encryption method. Wcry Ransomware use AES symmetric encryption algorithm which is currently undecryptable sinсe the decryption key is created directly within encryption process. Once infiltrated, virus strikes all target files assigning new .wcry file extension. For example, myfamily.jpeg file turns into myfamily.jpeg.wcry file. Once encrypted, it displays ransom-demand message in form of pop-up window.
As you can see, cyber criminals wants you to pay them about approximately 100$ in Bitcoins. Once payment is done, they will supposedly send you decryption key. But you should know that nobody can guarantee that they will fulfill their end of the bargain. The practice shows that they are just ignoring people who pays them. That’s why you should not be pushed about by them because you can remain without money and files. On the contrary, you only may encourage them to continue their dirty business. In any case, you will be simply scammed. However, there’s no need to panic, from this article, you will learn how to remove Wcry Ransomware and some ways to decrypt .wcry without wasting money.
This is what the ransom note contains:
Your files have been safely encrypted!
Most of your files are encrypted with strong AES-128 ciphers.
To decrypt files you need to obtain the private keys, and it is the only possible way.
To obtain the keys you should pay with bitcoin.
The cost will double by the specified time.
1. Send 0.1 BTC to 1G7bggAjH8pJaUfUoC9kRAcSCoev6djwFZ You will be able to download the private key within 12 hours.
2. How to DECRYPT your files
1) Click “Start Decrypt”.
2) First, you should send a download request with your Bitcoin wallet address. (Important: You must know your actual wallet address from where your payment be sent.)
4) After 5~6 hours you will have the key and can decrypt your files. Go!
5) That’s all.
3. About Bitcoin
1) For more information about bitcoin, please visit hxxps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
2) Here are our recommendations to purchase bitcoins: –
Any attempt to corrupt or remove this software will result in immediate elimination of the private keys by the server.
How Wcry Ransomware infects your PC?
Like any other ransomware-type viruses, Wcry is distributed primarily through the fraudulent email messages. For example, it might be bill from tax company or online store like Amazon. The virus itself is hided within an attachment. Therefore, be very wary when opening files downloaded from suspicious emails or untrusted sources. Do not rush in these moments since you can compromise your system. The malware is also distributed through fake software updates, torrent (P2P) networks, and trojans as well.
To prevent suсh kinds of the threats as Wcry Ransomware ransomware in the future follow these tips:
- Adjust your email anti-spam settings to filter out all potentially unsafe incoming messages.
- Make sure, the attachments with the following extensions: .js, .vbs, .docm, .hta, .exe, .cmd, .scr, and .bat. are in the black list
- Rename the vssadmin.exe process to protect Shadow Volume Copies of your files from removal.
- Raise the level of Firewall protection. It can prevent ransomware from connecting with its server.
- Do not forget to backup your files regularly. This will facilitate process of decrypting files in case of infection.
- Install antimalware tool because in most cases, it can detect ransomware in advance and remove the malware before the infection.
How to remove Wcry Ransomware from your computer?
The best and easiest way to remove Wcry Ransomware from your computer is to use special anti-malware program that has this threat in its database. As stated above, you need proper and reliable anti-malware program, that’s why we recommend you to use SpyHunter.
It scans your computer and detects various threats like Wcry Ransomware, then completely removes it. One of the best features of this program – large threat’s database. SpyHunter’s newly advanced ransomware detection technology is able to run an instant ransomware scan and show you a message about detection. After deep scanning of your system, it will easily find and delete Wcry Ransomware. Use this removal tool to get rid of Wcry Ransomware for FREE.
How to decrypt .wcry files encrypted by Wcry Ransomware?
Once you’ve removed virus, you are probably thinking of recovering files from encryption. Let’s take a look at possible ways of decrypting your data.
Recover data with Data Recovery
- Download and install Data Recovery
- Select drives and folders with your files, then click Scan.
- Choose all the files in a folder, then press on Restore button.
- Manage export location.
Decrypt .wcry files manually
You can try to use one of these methods in order to restore your encrypted data manually.
Restore data with Windows Previous Versions
This feature is working on Windows Vista (not Home version), Windows 7 and later versions. Windows saves copies of files and folders which you can use to restore data on your computer. In order to restore data from Windows Backup, take following steps:
- Open My Computer and search for the folders you want to restore;
- Right-click on the folder and choose Restore previous versions option;
- The option will show you the list of all the previous copies of the folder;
- Select restore date and the option you need: Open, Copy and Restore.
Restore the system with System Restore
You can always try to use System Restore in order to roll back your system to its condition before infection infiltration. All the Windows versions include this option.
- Type restore in the Search tool;
- Click on the result;
- Choose restore point before the infection infiltration;
- Follow the on-screen instructions.