What is UpgradeAssist?
If your browser redirects you to the strange unknown sites and displays advertisements in places where it shouldn’t, probably you are infected with UpgradeAssist adware. UpgradeAssist is represented by the application for the Mac OS, which is developed to show victims various advertisements and redirect them to the questionable websites. Such soft is usually distributed by the means of bundles or fake installers. In the first case, UpgradeAssist goes together with other software in one installer. The terms of installation of such packages generally are not clear, that’s why victims are usually puzzled where UpgradeAssist comes from. In case of installers, they design it to look like the original ones. Such installers are usually promoted by the fake websites, which also copy the originals. When victims come to such sites, they receive various notifications the function of which is to assure victims that it’s necessary to install this file. When UpgradeAssist is installed, it makes some changes in the browser settings in order to get an ability to display notifications and redirect victims to the promoted web pages. The linked websites usually promote questionable software and services, and sometimes contain malicious scripts. In any of these cases, it’s recommended to remove UpgradeAssist from your Mac OS as soon as possible. In order to perform it right, we’ve prepared the detailed guide on how to do it!
- Automatic solutions for Mac OS
- Manual solution for Mac OS
- Manual solution for Safari
- Manual solution for Google Chrome
- Manual solution for Mozila Firefox
How to remove UpgradeAssist?
Automatic solutions for Mac users
We strongly recommend you to use a powerful anti-malware program that has this threat in its database. It will mitigate the risks of the wrong uninstallation. Download Combo Cleaner anti-malware program for Mac in order to remove the source of “UpgradeAssist” adware automatically. Simple, effective and user-friendly.
How to remove UpgradeAssist manually?
Disclaimer: You do it on your own risk. We don’t bear any responsibility for your actions. These instructions are rather large and it requires 100% precise execution.
- Press the Go button in the upper-left side of the screen.
- Click the Applications button
- Be attentive, and look for suspicious programs (This adware may have a different name)
- As you find them – delete them all
- Now press the Go button and then Go to the folder…
- In the search bar type /Library/LaunchAgents and remove all suspicious files in this folder
- Choose the Go to the folder… option once again and type /Library/Application Support
- Remove all suspicious files and folders
- Then, with the help of the same menu, go to ~/Library/LaunchAgents and remove all suspicious files from there
- Do the same with /Library/LaunchDaemons folder
- Here you’d better use Combo Cleaner, or CleanMyMac in order to get rid of the root of the problem at all.
- Now you have to clean your browser
How to remove UpgradeAssist adware from your browser?
It’s very important to clean your browser after removing the “head” of the problems. Follow the instruction and you will win this fight.
- Launch your browser and press Safari button in the upper right side of the screen.
- Here click on Preferences button and choose Extensions.
- Now look for any suspicious plugin and click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Close the menu and press Safari button again and push Reset Safari button
- Check all sections and then press Reset button
- Open your browser, click on the Menu button in the upper right side of the browser (It consists of 3 dashes)
- Here choose More tools menu and then press Extensions button.
- Now look for any suspicious plugin and then press Trash button or Remove button in order to delete it (usually it’s toolbars or searching engines).
- Close the menu and click the 3-dashes button, choose Settings menu, look for Manage Search Engines button and press Manage search engines.
- Here you should look for any suspicious search site and delete it
- Close the menu and press 3-dashes button again.
- Here press Settings button and scroll down to the bottom.
- Now press Reset browser settings button, then click Reset button again to confirm this process.
- Launch your browser, click on Menu button in the upper right side of the browser (it consists of 3 dashes).
- Now click on Add-ons and choose Extensions menu.
- Then look for any suspicious plugin and click on the Remove button (usually it’s toolbars or searching engines).
- Close this menu and press Firefox button in the upper left side of the browser.
- Press Question mark button and click on Troubleshooting information (this menu can also be found in 3-dashes menu)
- Now press Reset Firefox button in order to delete this scam
There are all manual instructions that will help you to find “UpgradeAssist” adware on your Mac OS and remove it. The most effective method to get rid of “UpgradeAssist” adware is to perform the manual removal instructions and then use an automatic tool. The manual method will weaken the malicious program and the Combocleaner will remove it.