What is Search40.co?
Search40.co is a browser hijacker that is commonly distributed with a free software. This application will set search engine and homepage of your web browser to Search40.co. The browser hijacker is able to change shortcuts on your desktop, so that every time you try to open browser and click on its shortcut, you’ll open Search40.co. Search engine of this browser hijacker will spoil your online searching because of redirection to different sponsored by third-party websites. Use this instruction to remove Search40.co from your browser.
Another malicious feature of Search40.co is personal information tracking. It can monitor your searching queries, browsing story, geolocation, all the keyboard and mouse inputs you make in your web browser. All the stolen information may be shared and misused by third-parties to generate revenue.
How to remove Search40.co from your computer?
You may try to use anti-malware tool to remove Search40.co from your computer and clean up your browser. Newly advanced malware detection technology is able to run an instant malware scan, which is perfect to protect your computer in case of a new malware attack.
How to remove Search40.co manually
Step 1: Remove Search40.co from Control Panel
In order to get rid of Search40.co, first thing you need to do is to uninstall malicious program from your computer. When removing Search40.co, try to find suspicious recently installed programs and delete them too, as it’s pretty common that any malware comes with some other unwanted programs.
- Select Start.
- Control Panel.
- Then choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Search for Search40.co.
- Click Uninstall.
Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- Select Start.
- Then Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a Program.
- Find Search40.co and choose Uninstall.
Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Open the Menu.
- Select Search.
- After that choose Apps.
- Next Control Panel.
- Then as in Windows 7, click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Search40.co, select it and choose Uninstall.
- Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, then select Settings at the top.
- Choose App & features on the left menu.
- On the right side, find Search40.co and select it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
Step 2: Remove Search40.co from Windows Group Policies
In order to remove Search40.co from your browser, you have to remove Windows Group Policies created by this malware first. Follow this instruction:
- Open Command Prompt – to do that, hit Start button and type cmd, then right-click on it and select Run as Administrator;
- Type following command in Command Prompt:
rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicyUsers”
- Click Enter button;
- Then type this:
rd /S /Q “%WinDir%\System32\GroupPolicy”
- Push Enter button again;
- Now the last thing to type here is this one short command:
- Click on Enter.
Step 3: Remove Search40.co from browsers
Once you’ve uninstalled the application, remove Search40.co from your web browser. You need to search for recently-installed suspicious add-ons and extensions.
- Open Google Chrome
- Push Alt + F.
- Choose Tools.
- Select Extensions.
- Search for Search40.co.
- Select the trash can icon to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Select Search40.co.
- Choose Disable or Remove option.
- Open IE.
- Push Alt + T.
- Choose Manage Add-ons option.
- Click Toolbars and Extensions.
- Next select Disable Search40.co.
- Choose More information link in the left-bottom corner.
- Click Remove button.
- If this button is grayed out – perform alternative steps.
Step 4: Removing malicious link from your browser shortcuts
Sometimes even removing of malicious program from your computer and web browser can’t help. If you are still facing unknown webpage when you open your web browser, then you might have your browser shortcut changed. It’s pretty common trick that perform most of browser hijackers. They change your browser shortcut so that every time you open it you’ll see not your homepage, but some advertisement webpage. But this issue is quite simple to fix. The instruction stated below matches most of the browsers.
- Right-click on your browser shortcut, choose Properties.
- If you see a link to some website after .exe in the Target field, read on.
- Usually you are not able to delete a link from Target field, that’s why you need to click on the Open File Location button in this window.
- Once you’ve opened file location, select chrome.exe/firefox.exe/iexplore.exe.
- Right-click on this file and choose Sent to option, then Desktop (create shortcut).
- New shortcut will have no additional redirection links.
- Delete old infected shortcut. If you got one in your taskbar, delete it from there too.
- Now you have new and clear shortcut without redirection to unknown websites.
Step 5: Resetting your browser search and homepage settings
To be sure that there is nothing left behind, we recommend you to reset your browser. It will restore your browser settings to default.
Reset browser settings in Google Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu (3 bar button) in the top right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Go to Reset browser settings section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset browser settings in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Go to Help.
- Go to Troubleshooting information.
- Click Reset Firefox… button.
Reset browser settings in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on the cogwheel in the right upper corner.
- Click Internet options.
- Got to Advanced tab.
- Click Reset button.
- Put a tick near Delete personal settings checkbox.
- Click Reset button.
There are all the manual instructions that will help you to find Search40.co and remove it on your computer. The most effective method to get rid of Search40.co is to perform the manual removal instructions and then use any automatic tool. The manual method will weaken the malicious program and the program will remove it.
You can also use any antivirus program in order to find and get rid of Search40.co, because some antivirus programs have this malware in its signature base. But not every antivirus program can include a special browser hijacker remover. If you want to use special program that was created to remove browser hijacker, then you can use removal tool from this page – download button below. Thank you for your attention.