What is FBLocker ransomware?
FBLocker ransomware, or Facebook ransomware, – is a new dangerous virus, that is distributed around the world. Ransomware is a form of malicious software from cryptovirology that blocks all the personal files on your computer and makes them unreadable. First FBLocker infiltrates your system, then starts encrypting procedure with AES-256 (CBC) encryption algorithm. This ransomware adds .facebook file extension to the name of all the encrypted data. In this article you can learn how to remove FBLocker ransomware and decrypt .facebook files.
Once data on your computer is encrypted, FBLocker will change desktop wallpaper. You can find demands and instruction on how to pay the ransom for decryption key in this image. Interesting fact – there is bilingual ransom note in this ransomware, you may find both English and Russian versions of it on the same image. Judging by the poor grammar in the Russian version, the experts conclude that it was written with the help of Google Translator service. There are also reports, that cyber criminals are connected to the 184.108.40.206:80 IP, which means they are operating from some European Union country. This is what FBLocker ransom note contains:
What Happened to My Computer?
Your important files are encrypted. Many of your documents, photos, videos, databases and other files are no longer accessible because they have been encrypted. Do not waste your time looking for a way to recover your files. Nobody can recover your files.
Can I Recover My Files?
No. My name is Mark Zuckerberg and I have encrypted your files without saving any encryption keys. I appreciate you executing my program because you have allowed me to ruin more lives.
“A squirrel dying in front of your house may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa.”
And the Russian version of it:
Что случилось с моим компьютером?
Ваши важные файлы зашифрованы. Многие из ваших документов, фотографий, видео, баз данных и других файлов больше не доступны, поскольку они были зашифрованы. Не тратьте свое время на поиск способа восстановления файлов. Никто не может восстановить ваши файлы.
Могу ли я восстановить мои файлы?
Нет. Меня зовут Марк Цукерберг, и я зашифровал ваши файлы, не сохраняя никаких ключей шифрования. Я ценю, что вы выполняете мою программу, потому что вы позволили мне разрушить больше жизней.
FBLocker is not a typical ransomware, the creators don’t want you to pay a ransom cost, and it is quite unusual for ransomware. Still, FBLocker ransomware does very complicated encryption, but it does not damage, move or delete your files, which means you have chance to restore your personal data.
How to remove FBLocker ransomware from your computer and restore files?
You may try to use anti-malware tool to remove FBLocker ransomware from your computer. Newly advanced ransomware detection technology is able to run an instant ransomware scan, which is perfect to protect your computer in case of a new ransomware attack.
How to decrypt .facebook files encrypted by FBLocker?
Once you’ve removed virus, you are probably thinking of recovering files from encryption. Let’s take a look at possible ways of decrypting your data.
Decrypt .facebook files with automated decryption tools
Unfortunately, due to novelty of FBLocker ransomware, there are no available automatic decryptors for this virus yet. Still, there is no need to invest in malicious scheme by paying ransom. You are able to recover files manually.
Decrypt .facebook files manually
You can try to use one of these methods in order to restore your encrypted data manually.
Restore data with Windows Previous Versions
This feature is working on Windows Vista (not Home version), Windows 7 and later versions. Windows saves copies of files and folders which you can use to restore data on your computer. In order to restore data from Windows Backup, take following steps:
- Open My Computer and search for the folders you want to restore;
- Right-click on the folder and choose Restore previous versions option;
- The option will show you the list of all the previous copies of the folder;
- Select restore date and the option you need: Open, Copy and Restore.
Restore the system with System Restore
You can always try to use System Restore in order to roll back your system to its condition before infection infiltration. All the Windows versions include this option.
- Type restore in the Search tool;
- Click on the result;
- Choose restore point before the infection infiltration;
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Restore data with Shadow Explorer
Shadow Explorer is an application that is able to provide you with Shadow Copies created by the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service.
- Once you’ve downloaded this application, open a folder with it;
- Right-click on the file ShadowExplorer-0.9-portable and choose Extract all option;
- Run ShadowExplorerPortable.exe;
- Look at the left corner, there you can choose desired hard drive and latest restore option;
- On the right side you can see the list of files. Choose any file, right-click on it and select Export option.
Restore data with Recuva
Recuva is a data recovery program for Windows, developed by Piriform. It is able to recover files that have been “permanently” deleted and marked by the operating system as free space.
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed this application, start it in Wizard mode: choose the Options button and then select Run Wizard;
- You will see Welcome to the Recuva Wizard page, choose Next;
- Open the File Type page and choose the type of data you need to recover, after select Next. If you don’t know what kind of data you are looking for, choose Other option;
- Choose the location of a search in the File Location window;
- In the Thank you window, select Start. After finishing searching process, Recuva will show you the results of search;
- Before recovering of the data, choose the Check Boxes near the file. You can see three types of colored dots. Green dot means that your chance to restore file is excellent. Orange one – chance to restore file is acceptable. And the red one shows you that it’s unlikely to happen;
- Select Recover option and choose the directory of the restored data.
How to protect PC from FBLocker?
It’s pretty difficult task to get rid of any ransomware, including FBLocker. But you can easily prevent any infection of your PC. HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard can help you with this problem. It’s one of the best anti-ransomware applications. No matter how sneaky it is, HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard will stop FBLocker infiltration to your system. After detection, this program removes all the related to the ransomware data and prevents your file from being encrypted.