What is MacOSDefender?
MacOSDefender is potentially unwanted program for Mac that spoils browsing experience with constant redirects and advertisments. Once installed, it hijacks browser replacing default search engine/homepage/new tab with dubious search pages like http://www.alphashoppers.co/index.html. Moreover, it displays pop-up advertisments and causes redirects to shady pages preventing normal browser’s work. At first sight, there is nothing suspicious because new search page looks like other search engines like Google or Bing. Nevertheless, the quality of work of MacOSDefender leaves much to be desired. Actually, developers of this program make money only through advertising. The program displays altered search results which lead to sponsored and insecure websites containing malicious infections. Just one click is enough to get infected with the virus. Because of a high risk of infection, you are advised to remove MacOSDefender from Mac as soon as possible.
How to remove MacOSDefender from Mac?
This application is able to detect and remove MacOSDefender from your computer and clean up your browser. Simple, easy-to-use and helpful.
Or you may use manual removal method:
Step 1: Remove MacOSDefender from Applications
In order to get rid of MacOSDefender, first thing you need to do is to uninstall malicious program from your computer. When removing MacOSDefender, try to find suspicious recently installed programs and delete them too, as it’s pretty common that any malware comes with some other unwanted programs.
- Launch Finder
- Select Applications in the Finder sidebar.
- If you see Uninstall MacOSDefender or MacOSDefender Uninstaller, double-click it and follow instructions
- Drag unwanted application from the Applications folder to the Trash (located on the right side of the Dock)
Note: If you can’t find a required program, sort programs by date and search for suspicious recently installed programs. If you still can’t locate any suspicious program or not sure what some application is for, we advise you to use Removal tool in order to track down what malicious program is infecting your system.
Step 2: Remove MacOSDefender from browsers
Once you’ve uninstalled the application, remove MacOSDefender from your web browser. You need to search for recently-installed suspicious add-ons and extensions.
- Click Preferences from Safari menu
- Select Extensions.
- Find MacOSDefender or other extensions that look suspicious.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Open Google Chrome
- Push Alt + F.
- Choose Tools.
- Select Extensions.
- Search for MacOSDefender.
- Select the trash can icon to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Select MacOSDefender.
- Choose Disable or Remove option.
Step 3: Eliminate MacOSDefender by deleting cache
In most cases, deleting the cache can resolve the problem
- Open Finder and select your user/home folder.
- With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options
- When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.
- Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.
Step 4: Remove MacOSDefender from Profiles
Sometimes malware might have its entries in Group Policy that helps browser hijacker overrides search engine every time you reset browser settings.
- Open System Preferences
- Go to Profiles at the bottom of window.
- Choose AdminPrefs profile, click “-“ icon and enter password.
There are all the manual instructions that will help you to find MacOSDefender on your Mac computer and remove it. The most effective method to get rid of MacOSDefender is to perform the manual removal instructions and then use Combo Cleaner automatic tool. The manual method will weaken the malicious program and the program will remove it. Thank you for your attention.