What is MaxiCrypt?
MaxiCrypt ransomware is a dangerous virus that can encrypt all the personal files on the computer, which means that you can’t open or run them until they are decrypted. MaxiCrypt ransomware is a harmful virus that is making the data unreadable. First MaxiCrypt infiltrates your system, then starts encrypting procedure with AES/RSA encryption algorithm. This ransomware adds [random_characters_and_numbers].[email@example.com].maxicrypt as an extension to the name of all the encrypted data. In this article you can learn how to remove MaxiCrypt and restore your files.
Once data on your computer is encrypted, MaxiCrypt will drop How to restore your data.TXT text file on the desktop. You can find demands and instruction on how to pay the ransom for decryption key in this file. This is what MaxiCrypt.txt ransom note contains:
YOUR FILES ARE ENCRYPTED!
Your personal ID –
Your documents, photos, databases, save games and other important data was encrypted.
Data recovery the necessary decryption tool. To get the decryption tool, should send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
In a letter to include Your personal ID (see the beginning of this document).
In the proof we have decryption tool, you can send us 1 file for test decryption.
Next, you need to pay for the decryption tool.
In response letter You will receive the address of Bitcoin wallet which you need to perform the transfer of funds.
If You have no bitcoins
* Create a Bitcoin wallet: hxxps://blockchain.info/ru/wallet/new
* Purchase Bitcoin: hxxps://localbitcoins.com/ru/buy_bitcoins or hxxp://www.coindesk.com/information/how-can-i-buy-bitcoins (Visa/MasterCard, etc.)
When money transfer is confirmed, You will receive the decrypter file for Your computer.
After starting the program-interpreter, all Your files will be restored.
* Do not attempt to remove a program or run the anti-virus tools
* Attempts to decrypt the files will lead to loss of Your data
* Decoders other users is incompatible with Your data, as each user unique encryption key
After finishing encrypting process, the ransomware will state that there are no ways to recover your files but to pay ransom. Cyber criminals want you to pay them in Bitcoins. Once you’ve done payment, they are supposed to send you decryption key. But you should know that nobody can guarantee that they will help you, don’t trust them, these cyber criminals are not going to do their part of the deal. Mostly they are just ignoring people who pays them. So please do not invest into this criminal scheme. Trust us, there’s no need to panic, MaxiCrypt ransomware does very complicated encryption, but it does not damage, move or delete your files, which means you have chance to recover your personal data.
How to remove MaxiCrypt from your computer and restore files?
This anti-ransomware removal tool is able to detect and remove MaxiCrypt ransomware from your computer. Newly advanced ransomware detection technology is able to run an instant ransomware scan, which is perfect to protect your computer in case of a new ransomware attack.
How to restore files encrypted by MaxiCrypt?
Once you’ve removed virus, you are probably thinking of recovering files from encryption. Let’s take a look at possible ways of decrypting your data.
Decrypt files with automated decryption tools
Unfortunately, due to novelty of MaxiCrypt ransomware, there are no avaliable automatic decryptors for this encryptor yet. Still, there is no need to invest in malicious scheme by paying ransom. You are able to recover files manually.
Recover files manually
You can try to use one of these methods in order to restore your encrypted data manually.
Restore data with Windows Previous Versions
This feature is working on Windows Vista (not Home version), Windows 7 and later versions. Windows saves copies of files and folders which you can use to restore data on your computer. In order to restore data from Windows Backup, take following steps:
- Open My Computer and search for the folders you want to restore;
- Right-click on the folder and choose Restore previous versions option;
- The option will show you the list of all the previous copies of the folder;
- Select restore date and the option you need: Open, Copy and Restore.
Restore the system with System Restore
You can always try to use System Restore in order to roll back your system to its condition before infection infiltration. All the Windows versions include this option.
- Type restore in the Search tool;
- Click on the result;
- Choose restore point before the infection infiltration;
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Restore data with Shadow Explorer
Shadow Explorer is an application that is able to provide you with Shadow Copies created by the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service.
- Once you’ve downloaded this application, open a folder with it;
- Right-click on the file ShadowExplorer-0.9-portable and choose Extract all option;
- Run ShadowExplorerPortable.exe;
- Look at the left corner, there you can choose desired hard drive and latest restore option;
- On the right side you can see the list of files. Choose any file, right-click on it and select Export option.
Restore data with Recuva
Recuva is a data recovery program for Windows, developed by Piriform. It is able to recover files that have been “permanently” deleted and marked by the operating system as free space.
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed this application, start it in Wizard mode: choose the Options button and then select Run Wizard;
- You will see Welcome to the Recuva Wizard page, choose Next;
- Open the File Type page and choose the type of data you need to recover, after select Next. If you don’t know what kind of data you are looking for, choose Other option;
- Choose the location of a search in the File Location window;
- In the Thank you window, select Start. After finishing searching process, Recuva will show you the results of search;
- Before recovering of the data, choose the Check Boxes near the file. You can see three types of colored dots. Green dot means that your chance to restore file is excellent. Orange one – chance to restore file is acceptable. And the red one shows you that it’s unlikely to happen;
- Select Recover option and choose the directory of the restored data.
How to protect PC from MaxiCrypt?
It’s pretty difficult task to get rid of any ransomware, including MaxiCrypt. But you can easily prevent any infection of your PC. HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard can help you with this problem. It’s one of the best anti-ransomware applications. No matter how sneaky it is, HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard will stop MaxiCrypt infiltration to your system. After detection, this program removes all the related to the ransomware data and prevents your file from being encrypted.