What is Satyr?
Satyr is a new ransomware virus that has been spotted in April 2018. This virus gets on victim’s computer mostly via bogus spam emails with an attached executable file – SF.exe. By the way, according to the similar code, lock screen, and executable file, many computer experts connect it with Spartacus Ransomware. This virus uses both AES-256 and RSA-2048 algorithms to encrypt sensitive files on victim’s computer. While encrypting, it appends all infected files with .Satyr extension, for example, myfamily.jpg is changed to myfamily.jpg.Satyr. In this article, you can learn how to remove Satyr ransomware and decrypt .Satyr files.
Here is used a typical scheme of all ransomware-type viruses – to make victims pay them. The only differences between them are the ransom price and encryption method. Cybercriminals state that there are no ways to recover your files but to pay a ransom. Although the price is not so big (0,018 BTC) we don’t advice send them money since nobody can guarantee that they will fulfill their end of the bargain. The practice shows that cyber-criminals just ignore people who paid them. That’s why you should not be pushed about by them because you can remain without money and files. On the contrary, you only may encourage them to continue their dirty business. In any case, you will be simply scammed. That’s why there is no need to contact them, it wouldn’t help. Still, Satyr ransomware does very complicated encryption, but it does not damage, move or delete your files, which means you have a chance to restore your personal data, but for now, you should focus on removing Satyr ransomware.
How to remove Satyr from your computer?
SpyHunter 4 – it scans your computer and detects Satyr, then completely removes it. One of the best features of this program – large threat’s database. SpyHunter’s newly advanced ransomware detection technology is able to run an instant ransomware scan and show you a message about detection. After deep scanning of your system, it will easily find and delete Satyr. Use this removal tool to get rid of Satyr ransomware for FREE.
How to decrypt .Satyr files encrypted by Satyr?
Decrypt .Satyr files manually
NOTE: Some variants of Satyr are easy to decrypt, just type: “VgjRPoOM0oa92_jId!/wkMeW6,guuSe” without quotes in the program window.
You can try to use one of these methods in order to restore your encrypted data manually.
Restore data with Windows Previous Versions
This feature is working on Windows Vista (not Home version), Windows 7 and later versions. Windows saves copies of files and folders which you can use to restore data on your computer. In order to restore data from Windows Backup, take following steps:
- Open My Computer and search for the folders you want to restore;
- Right-click on the folder and choose Restore previous versions option;
- The option will show you the list of all the previous copies of the folder;
- Select restore date and the option you need: Open, Copy and Restore.
Restore the system with System Restore
You can always try to use System Restore in order to roll back your system to its condition before infection infiltration. All the Windows versions include this option.
- Type restore in the Search tool;
- Click on the result;
- Choose restore point before the infection infiltration;
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
Restore data with Shadow Explorer
Shadow Explorer is an application that is able to provide you with Shadow Copies created by the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service.
- Once you’ve downloaded this application, open a folder with it;
- Right-click on the file ShadowExplorer-0.9-portable and choose Extract all option;
- Run ShadowExplorerPortable.exe;
- Look at the left corner, there you can choose desired hard drive and latest restore option;
- On the right side you can see the list of files. Choose any file, right-click on it and select Export option.
Restore data with Recuva
Recuva is a data recovery program for Windows, developed by Piriform. It is able to recover files that have been “permanently” deleted and marked by the operating system as free space.
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed this application, start it in Wizard mode: choose the Options button and then select Run Wizard;
- You will see Welcome to the Recuva Wizard page, choose Next;
- Open the File Type page and choose the type of data you need to recover, after select Next. If you don’t know what kind of data you are looking for, choose Other option;
- Choose the location of a search in the File Location window;
- In the Thank you window, select Start. After finishing searching process, Recuva will show you the results of search;
- Before recovering of the data, choose the Check Boxes near the file. You can see three types of colored dots. Green dot means that your chance to restore file is excellent. Orange one – chance to restore file is acceptable. And the red one shows you that it’s unlikely to happen;
- Select Recover option and choose the directory of the restored data.
How to protect PC from Satyr ?
It’s pretty difficult task to get rid of any ransomware, including Satyr. But you can easily prevent any infection of your PC. HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard can help you with this problem. It’s one of the best anti-ransomware applications. No matter how sneaky it is, HitmanPro.Alert’s CryptoGuard will stop Satyr infiltration to your system. After detection, this program removes all the related to the ransomware data and prevents your file from being encrypted.