You have encountered the Windows cannot find regedit.exe error and do not know what to do? This brief how-to article explains a few techniques that will solve your problem. Regedit is a file that runs the Registry Editor. The Registry system contains information about installations of software or hardware, their updates and removals from your PC.
With time, the registry becomes stuffed with information about incomplete installations or removals and consequently, your PC may experience system slow down and the Windows cannot find regedit.exe problem. It is important not to ignore the problem and deal with it as soon as possible.
There are two possible ways of fixing of Windows cannot find regedit error – a manual and an automatic.
- Try to scan your system:
- If the problem persists:
- Problems with your path environmental variable may also cause the error.
- First right-click on My Computer and choose the Advanced tab,
- Then click on the Environmemtal Variables button.
- After that find the line starting with Path in the bottom box and highlight it
- Click Edit.
- Edit the line in the Variable value box so that it starts
- Click on OK when finished editing and reboot your PC.
- If nothing from above helps, you can always restore your pc at the point when you didn’t have the error:
- First start your PC logging on as an administrator
- Then click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and select System Restore.
- Click on “Restore my system to a previous time” and after that click Next.
- Now select the most up-to-date restore point from the “Select a restore date” listing and click Next.
- Restart your PC when the restoration is completed.
Go Start > Go and type “cmd” in the opened Command Prompt window and then type “sfc /scannow”
If the error does not pop up after you complete this step, do not use other tips.
Go Start > Run > type in “gpedit.msc” then go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools > Set this to Enabled
If you do not have gpedit.msc (For example in Windows Home Edition) try going Start > Run > type “REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f” without the quotes. And reboot your PC
If you are not an Advanced user or you do not want to bother following the above mentioned steps, we advise you to make use of our automatic solution as it will not require much time and any special computer knowledge from you. Download and install PC Health Advisor and the perfect riddance of the error will be just one click away! The program is an expert in solving Windows cannot find errors, you can rely on it. Do not wait and see for yourself how simple it is to fix the Windows cannot find regedit error with PC Health Advisor!
If you want also to fix “Windows cannot find javaw.exe” error, then you can read about it on this website.
Material provided by: Alexey Abalmasov Google