What does this error mean?
If you get Windows error 0x800004005 while updating windows, it usually means that Windows Update folders are corrupted. In this article you may learn how to fix Windows Update Error 0x80004005 in Windows 10 both manually or automatically.
How can I fix it?
Let’s take some steps and see where the problem is.
Method 1, Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0X80004005 Automatically fixing errors with special programs
The best and easiest way to fix Windows 10 Update Error 0X80004005 is to use special computer optimizer RegCure. It will scan your computer for system errors and issues. RegCure has wide range of solutions to most of the system problems, including Windows 10 Update Error 0X80004005. Install it and run the scan, then watch it fixing your system’s issues.
Another proper program that is able to fix Windows 10 Update Error 0X80004005 is PC Health Advisor. This application is designed to quickly and powerfully clean your Windows registry, boosting your computer’s performance. There are a lot of optimization tools in PC Health Advisor, give it a try.
Method 2, Windows update troubleshooter
- Push Windows button;
- Type troubleshoot then press Enter;
- Choose View all at the left panel;
- Select Windows update troubleshooter from the list;
- Choose Advanced;
- Make sure you check Apply repairs automatically;
- Select Run as administrator;
- Choose Next then follow displayed instructions to finish the troubleshooting;
- After finishing troubleshooting process, try to install Windows Updates again.
Method 3, force Windows Update restore
- Push Windows + X;
- Choose Command Prompt (Admin). Select Yes if it asks for UAC (User Account Control);
- Type these commands to the command prompt one by one:
- Type these commands at the command prompt, press Enter after each command:
- Type these commands, click Enter after each command:
- Try to run Windows Update install again.
– net stop wuauserv
– net stop bits
– net stop cryptsvc
– ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
– ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
Method 4, Activation problem
0x800004005 Error can be caused by Windows activation problem. Make sure that your Windows has been activated accurately.
- Click on Start button;
- Choose Settings, then Update & Security;
- Find Activation, then choose Troubleshoot to run troubleshooter;
- Follow displayed instructions to finish the troubleshooting.
Method 5, Drivers problem
Now we need to ensure that there are no device drivers that are stopping the Windows Update process.
- Open Control Panel;
- Choose Device Manager (select show all items if you don’t see this option);
- Check if there are some unknown devices or devices with a yellow triangle on it. These kind of issues may be the reason of Windows Update problems;
- Try to find an updated driver for Windows 10 on the web. This might help you to solve this problem.
If you don’t want to waste your time on following the above instructions step-by-step all you need to do is download special program. These tools are specifically designed to fix Windows Update Error 0x80004005 in Windows 10, it will save your time and efforts.
We hope this guide was helpful to you. Feel free to leave a comment and tell us what methods were (or weren’t) effective in your case.